The Animation Course
Chad Stewart, former Disney animator and homeschool Dad, offers a 12 week LIVE – online animation course for 11-18 year olds. Each assignment that is turned in is given a video review by a professional animator.
The Animation Course consists of five levels with the goal of giving the student the tools they need to enjoy the process of creating stories and animating them, thus producing their own short films.
- Level 1: An introduction to animation through 12 principles of animation.
- Level 2: Basic concepts of physics and how they apply to animated motion, emotion and acting, and body mechanics.
- Level 3: How to tell a story—everything from basic story structure to staging and cinematography.
- Level 4: Combines concepts learned from Levels 1-3 to help students create their own animated short film.
- C.A.T. (Continual Animation Training): Students work together just like a real animation crew to complete a joint film project.
The Drawing Course consists of two levels with the goal of teaching classical drawing skills. Using this foundation, The Drawing Course then launches into the world of characters and design, allowing the student to bridge the gap between imagining a character and then putting that character on the page.
- Level 1, Fundamentals of Drawing: An introduction to the classic concepts of traditional drawing and how to use them to bring more life-like images to the page.
- Level 2, Drawing for Animation: The character and design of humans and animals; bringing life to the drawing through the concepts of gesture and expression.