Reading Remediation Resources for Helping Your Struggling Reader
Is your homeschool student struggling with reading? Do you feel like you are tapped-out when it comes to finding reading resources that work with your child? Don’t panic. This guide will help you find a successful way to teach reading to your student.
Extra Resources Shared by Dr. Marion Blank
Language Via Literacy
An article excerpt from a past issue of The Autism Perspective on how literacy can be used to open the door for language for children with autism spectrum disorders.
It’s Time We Had a Talk–About Talk
An article on how to teach literacy to children on the Autism spectrum.
Language of Children with Autism: The Two Worlds Underlying Verbal Communication
An article covering social interaction, language, verbal communication, discourse, hyperlexia, and autism spectrum disorders
Featured Podcasts & Full Length Videos
Supporting Your Child with a Language-Based Learning Disability
An interview with Daniel Franklin, Ph.D., BCET, author of Helping Your Child with Language-Based Learning Disabilities and founder and president of Los Angeles-based Franklin Educational Services, Inc.
Ways Parents Can Help a Struggling Reader
An interview with Barbara Steinberg, M.Ed., Founder & Owner of PDX Reading Specialist, LLC.
Teaching Reading Comprehension for Academic Success
An interview with Dr. Marion Blank, a world-renowned literacy and language expert who developed and served as Co-Director of the Columbia University Developmental Neuropsychiatry Program for Autism and Related Disorders.
How Direct Instruction Helps Parents Teach Struggling Readers
An interview with Michael Maloney, Founder of The Maloney Method which uniquely incorporates four educational strategies into one all-encompassing system (behavioral objectives, behavioral management, direct instruction, and precision teaching).
Here are links to the rest of the videos from this topic series:
- Why College May Not be the Best Next Step for a Struggling Student
- Your Student’s Success Starts with You, Their Parent
- Levels of Reading Support for a Struggling Reader
- How Audiobooks Help Students Access Text at Their Intellect Level
- The Sweet Spot Between Reading Accommodations & Remediation
- Why Accommodations are Important for Struggling Learners
- Using Videos to Teach Literacy to Non-Readers
- Increasing Visual Sequencing for Reading Success
- Pacing Instruction Based on Your Student’s Reading
- Instructional Tips for Helping a Struggling Reader
- Direct Instruction Verses Orton-Gillingham for Reading Instruction