By Amy Vickrey, MSE
American Sign Language is a beautiful and useful language to know. I have used it many times in my adult life to communicate with parents, customers, and friends. There are many benefits to learning a second language, and ASL is quickly gaining in popularity because it is visual and hands-on! It is currently the fourth most popular foreign language taken in college! Basic knowledge of a signed language can be an important tool for firefighters, police officers, and other professional civil servants, as well as scuba divers, stock traders, and more.
Check out some more of the benefits:
- Reduces frustration – helps with communication when words are difficult
- Increases self-esteem – students feel successful and helpful
- Enhances language and listening skills – students learn to watch and listen in order to respond
- Enriches relationships – can be fun and exciting to communicate in sign language
- Increases IQ – second language learning activates parts of the brain that are only activated by using a second language
- Facilitates bilingual learners – the sign for “bird” or “turtle” is the same no matter what language you speak!
- Improves spelling – finger-spelling provides a hands-on, visual way to learn and work on spelling words
- Improves motor skills – signs cross the mid-line, work on fine motor tasks through finger-spelling, and help develop and activate multiple parts of the brain
- Builds overall communication skills – ASL is an expressive language that requires paying attention to not just what is said but the facial expressions that go with it
- Builds better vocabulary – since we tend to use our bodies to talk and communicate anyways, sign language builds on that natural tendency and helps to reinforce vocabulary
Do you homeschool a child who is nonverbal? Make sure to check out our Pinterest board filled with ideas on how to teach a nonverbal student or for more information about ASL check out these links:
5 Ways Sign Language Benefits the Hearing
Top Benefits for Learning Sign Language
7 Benefits of Sign Language
Did you benefit from this article?
Would you consider a small donation to support the ongoing work of SPED Homeschool?
Click Here to Donate Today